Google plans to return to the search market in China with a censored app – sources

  • Google plans to return to the search market in China with a censored app – sources
    Independent.t. E.
    Google is planning to launch a version of its search engine in China, which will block certain web sites and searches, two sources said could mark its return to the market, he refused eight years ago to censorship problems.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/google-plans-return-to-china-search-market-with-censored-app-sources-37178179.html
    https://www.independent.ie/business/article30868977.ece/490e6/AUTOCROP/h342/2014-12-30_bus_5775924_I1.JPG

  • Email

Google is planning to launch a version of its search engine in China, which will block certain web sites and searches, two sources said could mark its return to the market, he refused eight years ago to censorship problems.

The plan, which was criticized by human rights defenders, concludes that China has stepped up consideration of a case involving us technology companies including Facebook Inc, Apple Inc and Qualcomm Inc against the background of increased trade tensions between Beijing and Washington.

Google left the Chinese search engine market in 2010 and is actively seeking ways to re-enter China, where many of its products blocked by regulators.

Intercept had previously reported that Google China plans on Wednesday, citing internal Google documents and people familiar with the plans.

The project, codenamed “Dragonfly” and is conducted in the spring of 2017, the news site said.

On the progress of project implementation picked up after the December meeting, the chief Executive officer of Google, Sundar Pichai a senior official of the Chinese government, he added.

Search terms about human rights, democracy, religion, and peaceful protests will be between the words in the black list in the app search engine which intercept said showed the Chinese government.

In the final version may be launched in the next six to nine months, pending approval from the Chinese officials, he added.

Chinese state-owned securities times, but said that reports about the return of Google’s search engine in China wasn’t true, citing information from “relevant agencies.”

But Google employee familiar with the censored version of the search engine confirmed to Reuters that the draft was alive and genuine.

On the internal Bulletin Board, the employee wrote: “in my opinion, this is as bad as leaking the article referred to.”

The employee, who declined to be named, said he saw slides of the work and that many managers at the level of Vice-President was known about it. He said that he was transferred from his unit to avoid involvement.

Separately, a Chinese official with knowledge reported that Google was in contact with the authorities in the Cyberspace administration of China (CAC) on a modified program.

The official, who declined to be named said that the project does not currently have permission from the authorities and that it is “very unlikely” such a project will be presented this year.

A separate report on news website the information technology on Wednesday reported that Google is developing a news aggregation app to use in China, to comply with censorship laws in the country.

Google declined to comment on the accounts and the CSC did not immediately respond to requests for comment from Reuters on Thursday.

A day earlier, the search giant also refused to comment on the specifics mentioned in the intercept report, but said that it has launched a number of mobile applications in China and has partnered with local developers in maintaining its domestic presence.

‘CHILLING PRECEDENT’

But the report thumping of the shares listed in the US Baidu , which dominates Chinese search engine market. Shares of baidu fell by 7.7 PC on Wednesday despite the publication of better-than-expected quarterly results.

Human rights organization Amnesty International said it called on Google to change course.

“Google will set a frightening precedent and transmission of the Chinese government victory,” it researcher of China Patrick POON, said in an email statement.

“It also raises serious questions about what guarantees that Google puts in place to protect the privacy of users,” he said.

The main search Platform from Google has been blocked in China since 2010, but it was an attempt to make new inroads into China.

In January, the search engine for joined investment in Chinese video-streaming mobile game platform Chushou, and earlier this month launched the artificial intelligence (AI) social tencent the company Media app wechat.

The website Facebook is banned in China, but the company has also expressed interest in entering the market.

Reports of a possible Google re-activation stimulated a strong reaction on Chinese social media on Wednesday evening, including disputes about the merits of censorship, the search engine against access to the us version illegal virtual private networks.

“Let’s continue to ride the Firewall,” said one anonymous poster. “I’d rather not have it than to use a castrated version.”

Online Business Classes